Assimilation: Coercion?

I have never felt coercive pressure from my peers to behave in a more American, or Anglo way. N one ever threatened me or purposefully incentivized me to act more American. Yet from the perspective and words of my Asian peers, I am a banana, white on the inside and yellow on the inside, indicating that I am heavily Americanized. There are incentives to be Americanized, a more silent and subtle one that the outright Americanization campaigns of the early 20th century.

I am an Asian American, Chinese and Vietnamese to be exact. I am neither white nor Protestant. My academic, and professional interests lie in law, politics and activism, all fields in which the persons I would interact with are not Asian. In fact, many of the people I interact with on a regular basis in these fields are White Americans. My high school was predominantly Asian but many of my peers at the Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College are White Americans. I have never faced discrimination from my White peers or coercive pressure. But since the majority of my interactions are with White Americans and they are the majority, it is easier to adopt their customs and habits in order to more easily facilitate social interactions. For example, consumption of alcohol is a common social activity amongst White Americans. It is easier to be social and seem a part of the group if one also partakes in alcohol consumption. Is there any need more human than the need to feel a part of the community.

It is easier to have smooth social interactions if one does not talk about race. In my social interactions with them, it can be uncomfortable if I raise the issue of race, marking myself as different. Even subtly, once I make an indication of my difference spoken, it can make the atmosphere uncomfortable. Why make it known that you are different if not necessary? I do make it known when I feel outraged about the marginalization and discrimination against Asian Americans but in normal social discourse, it is awkward to make it one’s Asian-ness known.

I have never been very immersed in Asian media or culture. In fact, I find Chinese TV shows to be bad and the music distasteful. I was never terribly immersed into mainstream American culture such as TV shows and music. Since pop culture is often a topic of conversation and a means of gauging another person’s tastes and personality, it is socially convenient for me to familiarize myself with shows, music, etc.

I am not saying that I resent my White peers. I do not. But as to the matter of assimilation, it is easier for a minority person to adopt elements of mainstream American culture to facilitate social interaction.

This entry was posted in Week 3. Bookmark the permalink.