The Accepted

Much of America’s past shows examples of either immigrants not being freely accepted, or the indirect pressure to assimilate into the ‘typical America.’ The white male was seen as the superior being, and appeared to live an easier life. The concept of the white picket fence and a manicured lawn was not only desired but somewhat expected. This notion of what exactly an American is however, has definitely altered throughout history. Today, as we step back and take note of all the diverse demographics that make up many large cities across the country, the white male is no longer the dominant figure.

When people immigrate to America, it is not necessarily the American mold they are drawn to, or working towards. The appealing factor of America is the freedom and endless opportunities the nation offers. This attraction crosses all races and countries. The advancements that have taken place within America, has now turned to value the diverse and different. The statistics of college acceptances is evidence of this shift within society. Cities, such as New York, pride themselves in their immense diversity. This development encourages immigrants with the peace of mind that their heritage and culture will be both valued and appreciated, while their access to opportunities will remain the same.

As an immigrant myself, I have never felt pressure to become ‘more American,’ or try to fit into any mold. Rather, I have had countless experiences where my ethnicity has been respected and enjoyed. I am incredibly grateful for the opportunities and experiences I have had in America. I love and enjoy American culture, while at the same time I have never been forced to conform to it. I have always been allowed to be a South African and still be accepted within society.

Gerstle in “Liberty, Coercion and the Making of Americans” touches on how Crevecoeurian believes immigration and assimilation to be easy and faultless. Gerstle refutes this belief, an instead argues that assimilation is a very trying, yet exceptionally necessary process. I however, would beg to differ, as the new season in America has showcased a value for diversity and the richness it carries. I would personally more agree with Gordon’s view of “cultural pluralism,” which America, and even more specifically in New York City, has proven to be true through both statistics and daily interactions and influences even as one walks throughout the city.

– Kristy Timms

This entry was posted in Week 3. Bookmark the permalink.