Though the MoveNY movement seems to be at bit of a gridlock itself at the moment, I remain hopeful for its eventual support by our lawmakers. What is troubling is that a plan as sensible as reducing tolls where there is less traffic and raising them where there is plenty, is the subject of debate. It makes me think that those opposed to the plan do not see the revenue going to more reliable and far reaching subways or maybe a free-flowing midtown cab commute, like I do.

What I wish Sam would have discussed more with us about his book. I believe he said that it would be called Street Smart and focus on automated vehicles. I have been interested in this field for a good bit of time, being that my father his heavily involved in it. As an engineer, my father has become known as the “father of connected vehicles”.  He was the first in the country over 20 years ago to propose using connected vehicles and connected infrastructure to automate vehicles and improve vehicle safety. At Virginia Tech, he founded the Smart Road where he designed the facility for testing automated vehicles and concepts.  While equalling and fairly evaluating tolls seems like the first necessary step for proper traffic flow in the city, automated vehicles seem like the most important step that will hopefully come soon.

At the moment, I am happy to sign MoveNY’s petition. But I would like to see much more than this put into action. I want to see automated taxi cabs that do not honk at parked cars and get you where you need to be in the most efficient manner.

Laura James