While it is true that Robert Caro definitely criticizes Robert Moses towards the end of his introduction, so much of his writing is done in what seems to be a commending sort of tone that I had begun to wonder whether he was ever going to get around to pointing out Moses’ many shortcomings. Having said that, I would say that Caro’s assessment of the damage Robert Moses did to New York City and its surrounding suburbs was a valid and fair one. I would actually have taken it further. Robert Moses’ total disregard for the lower classes and people of color is troubling at the least. Furthermore, Moses’ devolution into the very political machine he claimed to have been fighting against is worthy of scrutiny. Without taking into account what could be seen as physical or financial damage, the damage done to certain groups of people by Moses’ work is enough to make me question his motives, his methods, and ultimately his impact not only on the city of New York but on theĀ peopleĀ of New York. However, one cannot argue the fact that New York City would not be the place it is today without Moses’ works and it certainly won’t be escaping his influence anytime in the near future. Thus, one can appreciate and understand Moses’ impact as a benevolent force, while in equal parts criticizing this impact as a hindrance and more so, a force of injustice and inequity.

Paul Root