I learned about the broken windows theory prior to this class and I had quite a naive view of the theory. I never really took the time to think about the real-life applications and implications of such a theory. After reading about broken windows policing and listening to Bob Gangi speak about the racial injustices as a result of broken windows policing, I started to question the effectiveness of the theory. As I considered the positives and negatives of broken windows policing, I started to wonder, if done differently, could broken windows policing be beneficial?

There is no doubt in my mind that current applications of broken windows policing, which include quotas and targeting minority populations, are simply wrong. There is good intent but the execution of broken windows policing is absolutely terrible. In the video we watched, I recall a man saying that broken windows policing is not a bad thing and if done differently it can be helpful. Is that really true? Can we, as a people, trust that the police will reform? To answer yes to this question, once again, seems naive. I’m not exactly sure what can, and should be done, to improve community wellness and prevent crimes but I know that forcing police officers to meet quotas builds an even bigger rift between communities and the police force and results in the victimization colored minorities. It obviously doesn’t work, so maybe it’s time to try something new.

-Yashoma Boodhan