CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College/Professor Bernstein

Life in the “Hood.”

Dyker Park. The place where I learned to play the game of basketball.

Growing up in New York City has been an enriching experience. Not only have I enjoyed myself; I’ve also learned to adapt to the often-hostile environment.

I moved from the suburbs of New Jersey to the streets of Brooklyn at an awkward age. During my adolescent years, I had a difficult time connecting with my peers. A series of small happenings built up and exploded into a particularly heated situation. I was alone at a local park playing basketball when a couple of African American kids came and wanted to play with me. I was hesitant at first, but being the nice guy that I was, I begrudgingly invited them to join me. After a few plays I knew that I had made a  terrible choice. Not only were they twice my size, but they were manhandling me as well. At that moment, my self-esteem was shattered. I started to hate the game of basketball, and most importantly I started to hate those who were a different race than me.

Five months later, I attended a high school where I met and befriended a culturally diverse group of classmates. It was at that time in my life that I finally realized skin color does not define a person. I was no longer restrained by my fears and anger towards those different from me. Also, I learned to keep an open heart and mind and not to judge future acquaintances solely by recalling past experiences.