CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College/Professor Bernstein

The Dorming Experience

Waiting for the elevator on my way downstairs to the community center, I see none other than my Peruvian friend, Walter. On other occasions, this encounter would be awkward but today he was in a happier mood than usual. We were not merely conversing, but laughing and joking as we waited for the elevator. At that moment I realized that this elevator ride together would be quite enjoyable and could possibly change our relationship forever.

As we enter the elevator, I quickly look around and recognize an odd situation. Besides the other neighbors that I share this lovely Ludlow dorm with, I see a maintenance personnel with a ladder possibly three times his size. When Walter enters the elevator, he takes a quick glance and couldn’t help but communicate with the personnel, who was Ecuadorean.

After Walter began the conversation with “Hey man, what floor you working on today,” I could barely make out what they were saying. Since I don’t speak Spanish, I waited for Walter to switch back to the English language so I could finally follow this peculiar conversation. After a while I got my wish when Walter finally said to the Ecuadorian, “you know that Peruvians and Ecuadorians are enemies right.” At that moment, I thought the mood in the elevator would immediately worsen, but instead, laughter erupted from both Walter and the maintenance personnel. At this particular juncture I realized that this was New York City, the biggest melting pot in the world. I learned that New York City is the place where enemies would become friends, and that nationalities rarely affect how we make those friends.

I love this city.

1 comment

1 baksh416 { 09.16.10 at 2:55 am }

I like the way you introduced your friend, Walter. I was also intrigued by the fact that your friend was comfortable enough to engage so personally in a conversation with a stranger, nonetheless someone who is supposed to be his enemy.