CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College/Professor Bernstein

Cross Beams

Matthew Weinstein

At first, my ventures across the Williamsburg Bridge were meant solely for exercise. It’s close to my dorm, but long enough that it actually counts as a good workout—but that was it, nothing more. Now, I look forward to my daily jogs as so much more than a way to burn calories: they are an endless opportunity to set my eyes upon imagination—and determination—in a myriad of places that are different with each passing day.

My first few times really taking in the sights of the bridge consisted of minor revelations: the “Williamsburg Bridge” sign used to be a solid color, and the paving has been redone so many times that you can actually see the raised shapes of previous path guidelines. It wasn’t until a bit later, though, when I began to realize that it’s the little elements of the Bridge that make it so beautiful.

One such example of stunning detail is the writing on the bridge. Every once in a while, a phrase catches my eye, and remains at the forefront of my thoughts all the way home. Often I run across pavement quietly stating “Love is always the appropriate reaction,” and it never ceases to amaze me that such few words beneath my feet become such wings to make the journey home feel so brief. And just a few days ago, as I looked up in desperation for the top of a seemingly infinite hill, my eyes crossed upon the word “love” gently tied into the chain link fence that suddenly seemed to be a much closer finish line.

But words alone are not what make this bridge such an exciting place—it is the other people on it that make each new trip a beautiful journey. Seeing others (young and old, big and small) working under those massive beams as I do towards a goal—be it the simple one of just reaching the other side without stopping, or getting home from work as fast as possible to see the faces of loved ones, or just loving the way the breeze feels on the downhill—opened my eyes to one simple, yet beautiful thought:

Bridges, held up by crossbeams and cables, or love and hope, are where we all may meet in the pursuit of attainable dreams.

And I can’t wait to see where they lead us next.