CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College/Professor Bernstein

About My Face

Eating was always a chore to me. At the dinner table I’d never fail to find something to complain about, some component of my meal that I didn’t like, but had never actually tasted. Chicken and Broccoli, no broccoli. Cereal, no milk. Salad with only lettuce tomato and onions, no dressing. Spinach, peppers, carrots, zucchini, squash, peas, cauliflower, pickles, cucumbers, strawberries, cherries, pancakes, waffles, and cheeseburgers were just a few of the “hated” foods. I was a difficult child so my mother stopped pushing me to try them, she complied with my taste buds and started cooking according to my tastes.

As time went on, I grew and changed as a person, going through some good years, some awkward years, puberty, heartbreak, laughter, and love. As new experiences began to mold me into an adult, one thing remained the same: I was still difficult with food. How would I grow up if I was clinging so tightly to this one aspect of my childhood, with no defendable reason why? I then decided to take control my own life and not let my icky feelings about food hold me back.

I ordered Chicken and Broccoli from Feng’s Garden, but this time I didn’t pick out all the broccoli. Before I had the time to change my mind, I stabbed a piece of broccoli with my plastic fork and put it in my mouth; quickly followed with as much rice and chicken as I could fit into a mouthful. I then started chewing and could barely taste a difference. Pleasantly surprised, I snuck pieces of broccoli into all of my mouthfuls and finished my meal with a sense of accomplishment for trying the forbidden food.

I slowly weened myself into liking all of the “hated” foods. After trying a cheeseburger for the first time, I ate one every day for a week. I discovered new interesting tastes feeling a slight sense of sadness that came with the realization that I had been missing out. The only way I could compensate was to enjoy. This experience showed me that great experiences will follow if you’re not afraid to try new things, I now try as much as possible to be open minded and push myself out of my comfort zone, not only with food, but in all aspects of my life.