CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College/Professor Bernstein

Pro(crepe)ination

“The North side uses more butter, the South side actually uses more oil.”

Wait, what? I looked up from my computer up at my friend Frankie, cooking pan in hand.

“Oh, Italy?” Well, duh. I wasn’t exactly on my A-game, at midnight with a four page paper due in the morning. I dipped my finger absentmindedly in the jar of Nutella I had conveniently moved away from the cook.

“Yeah. Most people think that oil is the biggest ingredient in all Italian foods, but it’s totally not. In the North side, they actually only use butter. I don’t know, it’s something to do with the seasons. But crepes are French, so I don’t even know why it matters.”

I had no idea where they were from, or what they were made of, or why we were really even eating them. By the bottom of the Nutella jar, I had lost an hour and gained only one introductory paragraph to my essay. But, I learned something new. I looked around the kitchen from my white, food stained counter throne, and smiled to myself. And what did I spy but an Irish girl from Brooklyn who knows diddly-squat about cooking; a Russian girl from everywhere whose experience with Italian food stops at spaghetti; an Italian-Puerto Rican girl from the-middle-of-nowhere, Upstate whose cooking preference is primarily easy mac; and an Italian from Staten Island with cooking pan in hand and an endless stream of cooking remedies and anecdotes. All assembled for the common goal: procrastination. And on our path to procrastination, we actually found something interesting.

Also, we found out how FANTASTIC crepes are at one in the morning.

1 Anonymous { 09.28.10 at 4:09 pm }

I loved this post!! It’s so interesting how people can just assume things are the way they’ve “heard” they are, and not really ask themselves why, or how. I love how you were able to bring in an example of different cultures coming together around food, and learning new things about something that although it was deemed unnecessary at the time, it ended up being a little bit of knowledge that helped to change an entire assumption that you had.
It’s so cool how one little moment can become a complete paradigm shift in how we think.

2 Anna Traube { 09.28.10 at 8:41 pm }

Really creative title.

3 baksh416 { 10.07.10 at 12:43 am }

Very interesting way of describing procrastination and at least you got some food out of it.