CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College/Professor Bernstein

Lunar New Year Production

Coming from a dominantly Caucasian elementary and middle school, I had no idea what I was in store for when I entered Bronx Science. In my middle school, there were less than ten Asian students in my graduating class. I entered the yellow “cheese bus,” as my friends called it, and I saw a whole bunch of Asians just staring at me as I walked to an empty seat. I felt lonely and as if I were an outsider, even though I too am Asian.

When I arrived at school, there was a mass of students crowding the entire block. It was the first time I saw that many Asian students congregated in one area. I called my upperclassman friend Lin to pick me up since I did not know anybody there, and he greeted me with open arms only minutes later. When we entered the building, he showed me around, telling me which wing contained which room numbers, and that I should find him after school so I could meet some of his friends.

The day seemed to creep by slowly, and I was anticipating seeing Lin again since he was the only familiar face around here. When I met up with him, he introduced me to all of his friends, and suggested that a good way to get to know people was to join a club.

“Which club?” I asked him.

“Lunar!” he replied with enthusiasm. I had no idea what that club was so he explained to me that club members spent half a year preparing for a Lunar New Year Production in celebration of the Lunar New Year. I decided to consider it since I figured there was nothing to lose.

Weeks later after I joined the club in October, I grew to know many more new faces and learn more about the traditional performances of Lunar, as well as some random facts about Chinese culture that I was never exposed to back in middle school, and I’m glad Lin forced me to open up and try new things; I even ended up performing a modern dance that year, and sang for the next two years’ performances as well, and was awarded the title Vice President for my senior year.

1 comment

1 Sara Jay { 10.04.10 at 7:55 pm }

That sounds really awesome. I wish my school had such interesting clubs. And as many Asians xD