CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College/Professor Bernstein

A Different Outlook

This weekend I experienced something that truly was mind blowing. As I was walking through my neighborhood I saw someone who stuck out like a sore thumb. There was a large group of Korean people walking down the block and I knew they were Korean by the language they were speaking. Right in the center of this large crowd I saw three older members who were wearing traditional Korean clothing. They were also speaking Korean with the younger youth they were surrounded by. The younger teenagers were wearing clothing that we would normally see on the streets. This was an interesting sight because not only was there a stark difference in age but also a difference in culture. The older people most likely came from Korea and decided to wear a more traditional outfit, while the younger kids definitely grew up in America. Everyone got along perfectly fine and it seemed like this cultural difference did not exist. The teenagers showed the older people a great amount of respect, constantly bowing to them and putting their heads down to show respect. Although, at first glance it seemed that this group would not get along, that is actually not true because everyone got along very well even though there was this generation gap. I was surprised that everyone in the group got along and thought that no matter how different or culturally different people were they could get along with proper effort.