CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College/Professor Bernstein

Moishe.

This past weekend I experienced something truly different. My friend, Moishe, who had been in Israel for most of his life, decided that he wanted to come to the United States to have some fun. Of course, he decided to give me a call and asked if I were available to hang out with him for an entire day. Although I’ve never seen him in person before, I knew a lot about him since we used to be pen pals back in the day.

Before I met him, I was nervous and curious as to the day ahead. I also thought if we didn’t have things to talk about, then the exchange would be quite awkward, and he wouldn’t have a good time in New York City.

During the middle of that day, I heard a knock on my door, and immediately guessed that it had to be my good friend Moishe. I welcomed him in, and for the next two hours we just talked about our different lives, and what his goals were for the rest of his life. Before long, my worst fears had come true. We had nothing else to say to one another, so our dialogue had quickly turned into silence. At that moment, I suggested we step out so that I can show him around the Brooklyn neighborhood that we were in. As soon as were exited the front door of my house, Moishe saw two pretty Caucasian girls walking down the street. Even though he barely knew how to speak English, he courageously approached them. This was the worst idea imaginable, or so I thought. With his bad, accented English, Moishe was trying to convince the girls to come and have lunch with us. After some initial confusion, the two girls finally knew what he was trying to convey, and decided to come with us. For the remainder of the day, I got to admit I had fun with the two girls, even though I had to engage them in conversation while my friend Moishe just stared at their pretty faces.

Truth be told, I honestly didn’t think my Israeli friend with a thick accent could pull off communicating with two American girls, let alone persuading them to lunch with us. I thought that the fact he was a foreigner would surly hinder his chances. To my great surprise, the girls found his accent hysterical, and took him up on his offer. Life is pretty good with Moishe around.

1 comment

1 annatraube { 10.12.10 at 3:04 am }

Wen Bo: Wow, absolutely fantastically unbelievably funny cultural encounter. My only question is: do you think the same awkward silence could have transpired between someone who shares your cultural background? In other words, was it a personality clash or a cultural thing?