CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College/Professor Bernstein

Web Tattoos

In the prison world a tattoo of a spider web on one’s elbow used to mean that the wearer had killed a member of an enemy minority. Eventually the meaning expanded to someone who killed anyone and eventually just someone who did time in a correctional facility.

Meanings of symbols constantly change; the most common example of this is the swastika, once a symbol of peace, now one of hate. While change is expected and can be good, the shift in the meaning behind the web tattoo has inspired a generation of people who see it as solely artistic. In the last week I’ve seen five individuals adorning that tattoo, while I couldn’t be certain that two scrawny hipster types with black elbow webs didn’t fall under the traditional prisoner stereotype, I’m pretty sure they did not.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t get a tattoo like that, only that there continues to grow generations of people who are completely unaware of the vast array of symbolism around them. Anything from the color red to the number eighty-eight can represent something hostile. My fascination for symbolism has made me aware of what’s around me, and has occasionally proved invaluable. Almost everything around us means something significant to someone else.