CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College/Professor Bernstein

Price Was Priceless

Was that Richard Price who just walked through the door? The middle-aged, moppy-haired, yellow-socked guy? I anticipated a grander entrance for such a well-acclaimed author and screenwriter, but Price’s casual attire begged otherwise. Unfortunate for me, I did not recognize him when he first showed up on Tuesday evening. His frumpy shirt, yellow socks, and no-brand briefcase, were so unassuming; I couldn’t imagine it was he. It took me three seconds to realize it was the author himself who had just slipped through my fingers. By then it was too late. I missed my chance to be the first to welcome him.

Price’s heavy “New Yawk” jargon accessorizes his informal getup. An ex-pat of Lower East Side who never truly left, Price recreated the neighborhood for us with sentimental talk of his own “Bubbe” and witty anecdotes of the resident loony tunes. I spotted a twinkle in his eye as he outlined the transformations of the LES, as a haven for Fujianese immigrants, a hub of Jewish life, and now a magnet for today’s hip yuppies. Price puts the LES on display, using a timeline of events to outline the renovation he has witnessed and the ever-changing dynamics of the neighborhood.

Price wowed the crowd with his synthesis of pride and humility, all the while camouflaging himself into his predominantly New York audience. (Also, I’m just a wee bit jealous of his natural theatrical flair.)