CUNY Macaulay Honors College at Baruch College/Professor Bernstein

Who is Richard Price?

To the rest of the world, Richard Price is a prestigious novelist and screenwriter. To me, he’s just a humble person who will always be connected to the Lower East Side, a well-known melting pot of Jewish culture, Fujinese immigrants, yuppies and hipsters. As Price entered the Lush Life reading, he was dressed in a simple way, and didn’t make a grand entrance like I assumed he would. Instead, he was simply reading to himself, and made it extremely difficult to make him out. When he talked, it put me at ease due to his manner of speech, even though he is an extremely educated individual.

I knew I had witnesses an amazing performance after Richard Price was finished with Lush Life. As a natural storyteller, Price gave us an honest account by speaking in a colloquial way that helped the audience to capture the essence of the story. During the Question and Answer session, the most alerting fact was that Richard Price didn’t care to take notes, but instead decided to immerse himself within the story itself.