A Long Overdue Trip…

Throughout our lives, many tragic events shape who we are as individuals by affecting our cultures.  Coming from a family of firefighters, I can assure you that Septemeber 11th, 2001 was one of the most horrific days that New York City has ever seen.  At 8:46 A.M., a plane flew into the North Tower of the World Trade Center.  17 minutes later, the South Tower received a similar blow sending New York City into chaos. Ten years have passed, and I still remember the entire series of events like it was yesterday.  Little did I know that this disastrous day would have an impact on my life for years to come.

Ever since I was 9 years old, I have played baseball under the Robert Curatolo Ranger organization.  Robert Curatolo was a first responding NYC Firefighter who passed in the tragic events of September 11th.  Robert’s best friend, who was also a friend of my father, began the organization to honor the life of his childhood companion.  When I was asked to play at the time, I did not fully understand the significance surrounding the organization and saw it as just another opportunity to play travel baseball.

Mr. Caputo was my coach for many years and Robert’s best friend growing up.  Before every game, he would remind us that we represent something bigger than ourselves.  He used to always tell us, “Remember the name on the front of the jersey that you are representing.”  For years, these words have echoed through my head.  I finally understood the immense sacrifice that Robert Curatolo, along with 342 other firemen, gave on that wretched September morning.  “All gave some, some gave all,” was the slogan made to honor the New York City Firefighters who lost their lives.  With a statement like this, and the lessons I learned as a Ranger, I now strive to give my all in everything that I do.

To pay my respect to Robert and all those who lost their lives on 9/11, I decided I would do something I always wanted to do: visit the World Trade Center Memorial.  When I arrived, the first thing I noticed was the large crowds of people gathered around the memorial fountains.  It was amazing to see that even 11 years later, so many people still gather together and honor the lives of their loved ones.  I spent about half an hour walking around and reading the list of names beautifully engraved around the perimeter of the fountains.  Standing among the crowds allowed me to put life into perspective and realize what is really important.

One of the Two Memorial Fountains

Culture can be defined as anything that has shaped our values and practices, and I can assure you that this chain of events has altered who I am for the better.  Now that I’m 18, I no longer am able to play, but the Ranger mentality still lives on within me.  Whenever I can, I help coach one of the younger teams, which Mr. Caputo gave my father the opportunity to manage.  Now, when someone asks me about the name, or the 9/11 patch on my Ranger sweatshirt, I smile because I get to tell Robert Curatolo’s story and the impact it had on me.

Robert Curatolo Ranger Hat & Patches                           (Photo Credit: Eddie Finn, Fellow Ranger)

This entry was posted in Cultural Encounters. Bookmark the permalink.