A Messy Cultural Encounter

One of my most distinct qualities is that I’m always willing to try something for the experience. As absurd or embarrassing the task may be, I have always believed that to be well rounded, one should be open to trying new things. That very ideology has played an integral role in shaping my personality and who I am today.

When on vacation in Thailand, I was introduced to one of the most memorable festivals of my life, Songkran, as my aunt described it. Songkran is a Thai take on the Indian festival of Holi. During Holi, the festival of colors, family and friends toss colored powder at each other. However, Songkran involves massive amounts of water, white powder and rose essence. So when my aunt handed me a water gun filled with all three ingredients I shrugged my shoulders and started aiming at my cousin, who picked up his gun as well. Although we may have looked foolish, slowly my entire family joined in and we were 40 people creating a playful chaos on a thai beach. To get all the powder and essence off, we jumped into the ocean, which led to yet another water fight. My cultural encounter with this new festival led not only to me discovering a new festivity, but also to providing me with memories I will never forget.

This entry was posted in Cultural Encounters and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.