Adapting

I think it’s impossible to say who I am exactly because people are changing constantly. Whether it’s a new experience, a new article I find on the Internet, or a person I meet recently, all of these little things will have an impact on me one way or another. I like to think of myself as a filter. Whenever people tell me about their new experiences and what they could have done to improve them, I would learn from their mistakes. I’m also constantly filtering out flaws in the things I do, and then searching for ways to fix these flaws.

In a couple of words, I may be a perfectionist to some and a determined person to others. I always want to excel in the things I do, and picking out flaws is the first step to improving. For example, it took me many months to learn how to play “Croatian Rhapsody” by Maksim Mrvica, on the piano. I didn’t have a piano instructor at the time so I had to depend on what I learned in the past in order to play this tune. From merely figuring out the major to finding the notes to each chord, I spent hours in front of the piano every weekend. Originally, I thought I would only have to spend a weekend searching for each chord. However, one weekend turned into one month, and this was just the first step. I still had to figure out the style of the music, and perfect the transition between each chord. This is an everlasting process, just like how defining myself is. Sitting in front of a piano and practicing a piece for hours at a time can be tedious at times. Giving up always seems like the easier option. However, playing the piano has taught me that determination does pay off in the end. I enjoy the feeling of satisfaction I get when I’m able to play one piece with the correct style and notes.

I can always improve on a technique I use when I’m playing this piece, just like how I can be improving a part of my personality as society’s standards change. I’m constantly learning from my mistakes and improving. The ultimate goal is not to be a perfectionist, but rather, to be proud of what I do.

So who am I? A girl who is trying to search for an answer to this question because my answer changes constantly.

Here’s a video of “Croatian Rhapsody” performed Live by Maksim Mrvica
[iframe width=”640″ height=”480″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/7DKBKZ8Cxeo?rel=0″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe]

This entry was posted in About Face and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.