Ancient Cultural Encounter

Everyone has their own unique culture that defines who they are as a person.  But has anyone ever questioned where their origins of their culture came from?  A few days ago, a friend and I ventured to the Museum of Natural History on 81st street.  As a child, I was never a fan of museums, but I decided to give them another shot.

Upon our arrival, we mapped out which exhibits we wanted like to see.  The first one we observed was “Human Origins.”  I particularly enjoyed this exhibit because it showed the beginnings and evolutionary process of human beings.  All around us, we could see various emaciated remains of archaeological findings.  Thousands of years ago, human beings did not have a concept of “culture,” rather people socially constructed it over time.  Our various languages, tools, and styles of art and music define who we are as people today.  While spending time in this exhibit, I could not help but wonder what in fact actually makes a cultural encounter, and how do we know if we are experiencing one?

This exhibit also contained the remains of Lucy.  For those who do not know, Lucy is one of the most famous skeletal remains that archaeologists have uncovered. Due to many years of erosion and decay, Lucy has only small fragments of bones left, leaving her with large chunks of her skeletal structure missing.  Supposedly, archaeologists named “her” this because when they discovered the bones, they were listening to “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,” by the Beatles.

Lucy

After wandering through the vast number of exhibits, we stumbled upon the exhibit known as “Central and South America.”  While poking around, I discovered a recreation of Aztec musical instruments.  Since they did not have stringed instruments, the Aztecs had to make do with rattles and bones to create their own type of “music.”  These rattles seem to be made out of clay with a plethora of holes that allowed the Aztecs to create their own type of rhythm.  It is amazing to realize that music has evolved in such a way with the countless instruments and genres that exist today.

Aztec Instruments

Even though I was not particularly enthusiastic about going to the Museum of Natural History, I am glad I made the trip.  While I did not have a typical, modern cultural encounter, I experienced much of ancient culture.  Without observing ancient culture, we would not be able to figure out what makes our own cultures unique today.  Just as we continue to enhance our understanding of culture, I believe we can continue to further understand ourselves, as individuals, through new experiences such as this.

This entry was posted in Cultural Encounters. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Ancient Cultural Encounter

1. rubinsammy says:

Yes, you are completely right about museums. I never liked going to them, but after since I got the Macaulay Cultural Passport, I don’t mind them. I visited the Guggenheim the other day. I showed them the passport and there was a ticket there for me. I walked around saw the exhibits. I had a new view of them. Primarily because of the fact that I didn’t need to pay anything for them!

The story with Lucy was an interesting one. I liked how the archaeologists gave her a name. In my opinion, it gives the bones an identity. Whenever I see exhibits on ancient humans, they don’t have names. They are only known as “primitive male” or “young girl”. By doing so, the archaeologists try to make it easier for us to connect to these bones.

I hope you use the Cultural Passport to go to more museums and see other cool exhibits!

2. Professor Bernstein says:

I like your observations about Lucy and about the ancient musical instruments.
    Ancient vs. modern culture: yes, that is a cultural encounter, too!

3. tejjybear says:

I always found it interesting how most people our age take the theory of evolution as reality, and accept the fact that humans slowly but surely developed into what they are today. I know that whenever I meet someone who questions evolution, I always question their sanity secretly. I don’t know why, but your casual acceptance of evolution was something I could really relate to.

This has really inspired me to go and used my Macaulay Cultural Passport; not just to learn about the world, but more about myself!

4. Rishi Ajmera says:

I really enjoyed this post, because I never actually knew some of those facts about Lucy. However, my interest in visiting museums has gone downhill, primarily because I’ve visited most of the major museums, so it feels repetitive, but it’s good you still enjoy them!