At My Age

Growing up, I guess I could be considered a spoiled child. Although I was given more responsibilities, I found myself slacking on my chores. I slowly ended up doing the dishes once a week or the laundry once ever two loads. Of course, my parents noticed that they were still doing just as much work, and lectured me about how I am old enough to do these basic chores without their help.

“When I was your age, I had to buy groceries and prepare meals for my family.”

“When I was your age, I had to climb up three flights of stairs just to get water from the well.”

And that wasn’t all. When I visit my grandparents, they would often ask my brother and I if we have started working yet. Although we’re still in school, our elders don’t really understand the idea that generations these days have it much easier than older generations. Back then, kids started working when they were still in grade school, something very different from now. They often learned how to cook when they’re still young teenagers. Now, the new generations are often spoon-fed everything they need.

After hearing stories from my parents and relatives, I’ve always wondered what changed. When was the turning point? When did generations begin having everything handed down to them?

This entry was posted in Cultural Encounters. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to At My Age

1. Nancy Zhu says:

Having Asian parents, I completely understand what you mean. My mom wants me to help around the house, complaining about how much time I spend on my computer as opposed to do cleaning the house. I tell her about how I have to mop the floors and wipe the tables after the toddlers eat at the daycare, my summer job. And she would respond with, “why don’t you do that at home? When I was your age, your grandmother had to go to work and so I did all those household chores PLUS cooking dinner.” To try to answer your questions, I’d say it’s because of the social ladder our parents’ generation climbed, along with our generation of technological savvy and dependent people that we’ve changed drastically. I wonder more what will happen when our generation grows up to become the heads of families; how will we manage to fit household chores into our busy schedules?

2. Melody Mark says:

My parents essentially tell me the same thing. They are always saying, “I was able to cook for my family when I was ten.” Or, “When I was your age, I had to earn money for food.” I agree with Nancy’s comment. Standards and expectations have changed since there are more opportunities today to succeed. Resources are also easily accessible. Living in a society where there are public education and medicaid, we are indeed spoon-fed the fundamental things we need to survive. After further thought, I believe this is our parents way of telling us not to take the things we have for granted.

3. rubinsammy says:

Well, I am not Asian, but I do have Soviet parents and grandparents. I wouldn’t say I had a spoiled childhood or that it was terrible, but it was manageable.

I am not going to lie, but my grandparents had it tough. They lived during the Hunger Years in the USSR. My grandma keeps telling me stories about how she needed to walk miles to her school, grow her own food, and then cook. Their life is much tougher than mine. Considering they had to evacuate their homes (not because of a hurricane), but because of the Nazi invasion.

My parents did live comfortable lives as well, but it was in the Soviet Union so it is hard to compare.

Honestly, I can’t speak for myself considering my sister and I are first-generation Americans. It is all based on perspective. For example, the other day, my sister was complaining that she didn’t get that many likes on her Facebook pictures. Then, it hit me. When I was her age, there was no Facebook or laptops. It made me remember the old times and then I gave her the old person staple speech, “When I was your age….”.