Cultural Re-encounter

When was it that I have forgotten the values of my origin, the Chinese culture that my parents are immersed in? Before I came to realization, I was conversing mostly in English with my younger brother at home. We often ramble for hours on our schoolwork, friends, games, and the songs that we enjoyed – none of which were Chinese related. In contrast, the conversations with my parents were short, constituting more nods and head swings than words. There seemed to be an invisible barrier separating us now as I became less comfortable with Chinese while being more adept in English. The more I thought about what topics we could discuss, the less I had to say.

I transitioned from my Chinese background to mingle with the American culture swiftly, as if driving by a beautiful flower field and forgetting it the next moment. Only a few years had passed since I immigrated here, memories of Chinese holidays were long gone – I could not bring myself to remember the dates of Chinese holidays and celebrations even though my family always prepares special dishes during those occasions. It was during one of those holidays – Chinese New Year – that I was able to recall a part of myself that I had forgotten. Strolling out of my room and into the ritual on Chinese New York where foods were presented to the gods to bring about good luck and fortune for the coming year, I felt relieved and grinned when I met my mother, thinking that I was still connected to my family through the Chinese traditions – this year, and the years that will follow.

This entry was posted in Cultural Encounters and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Cultural Re-encounter

1. rubinsammy says:

I totally agree with you. I know personally that the same thing has been happening to my sister and I. We speak Russian, but when it comes to communicating with other people, it is in English. I feel like you, I, and many others are starting to assimilate to American culture. I am not saying that is a good thing or bad, but it is a sad fact that many immigrants or many children of immigrants start to lose their own culture and native tongue. I personally believe that people who know two languages have a greater chance at success.

Here are some things I do to retain and improve my language.
    -Try listening to your native language’s music or even TV programs
    -Talk to your sibling in the language so you both improve
    -Pick 10 random items in your room and say what they are in your language.

2. nastassiashcherbatsevich says:

You started your second paragraph with this line “I transitioned from my Chinese background to mingle with the American culture swiftly, as if driving by a beautiful flower field and forgetting it the next moment”. That line was especially powerful because it produced a mood of nostalgia for something that existed in the past.

I can especially relate to your story. Like Sam, I try to speak Russian at home with my parents and sister. However, it is becoming more difficult to do because we live in a community with few other immigrants, let alone Russian speakers. Sometimes it’s just easier to express yourself in English, which is unfortunate, because Russian is such a rich language. Although it may take time to find the right words to say, they often come out with more emotion, sarcasm, and relevance. The key to bringing back Chinese culture into your life is recognizing its importance. The Renaissance would not have existed if Western Europe had not looked back at the old Greek and Roman art and said “wow, this stuff is not worth forgetting”.