From the Suburb to the Big Apple

As this upcoming school year approached, I knew change was afoot, but I was unaware of how much of it I would encounter.  Living my entire life in the reserved suburbs of Staten Island, I didn’t know that my world would be flipped upside down upon my arrival in Manhattan.  Choosing to dorm, as opposed to commute, I have temporarily escaped the stereotypical Italian families of Staten Island.  Since my arrival, I have observed a variety of people and their cultures, and these past two weeks have been quite an eye opening experience.

Everything here from the train rides to school to the diversity within the classrooms has been a unique, but rather enriching venture.  Meeting some of my classmates from all over, as well as eating at some distinct cultural restaurants that the city has to offer has opened my mind to a world of possibilities.  Since I am here, I have tasted some of the best Chinese, Mediterranean, and Mexican foods that are practically located in my own backyard.  While I have lived “here” in New York my entire life, these last two weeks have been incomparable to any other.  Just as this city “never sleeps,” I believe that my cultural experiences will also never rest for as long as I keep an open mind to what this great city has to offer.

This entry was posted in Cultural Encounters. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to From the Suburb to the Big Apple

1. Yeuk San Shen says:

Hey, John! First of all, I have to say that it is kind of funny how the first two posts I read are all about food in New York City! Anyway, I think it is great that you choose to live in dorm instead of commuting. Manhattan is such a place that it can definitely surprise you sometimes! Also, for the food part, if you like, I can show you many different cuisines (I kind of tried many of them on my own!) (o^_^o). I love how you described in such details about your experience in Manhattan, however, it would be great if you can tell a little more about the “Italian families”. Never been to Staten Island myself, it would be very interesting to see the differences!