Oh NYC Subways…

More often than not, people have interesting encounters on the subway. I am no exception. Let’s start at the beginning though. I was waiting for the LIRR train from Deer Park in order to come back to the dorms after the Rosh Hashanah weekend. On the platform, someone I met a week ago in one of the dorm kitchens who was also heading back, so naturally we both stuck together. I was happy because I had a travel buddy. We talker for a while, I got some work done for one of my classes, and everything was very normal until we stopped at 86th street on the 6 train. A man walked in, balding, with a magnificent mustache. I could tell that he was Indian as well, so I said hello, as it is considered polite in my culture. However, after the brief conversation, he started speaking to me in Punjabi… It could be roughly translated as the following:

Man: Good job man! Your girlfriend is gorgeous!

Me: No, no (laughing awkwardly now), she’s just a friend.

Man: Oh come on! No way!

By now, I had realized the man was drunk, so I made to end the conversation, but he wasn’t quite in the mood to end it so quickly, so he turned to me friend.

Man: (in English) You’re very pretty, an without makeup too. Impressive!

Friend: Thank you (nervously glancing at me), that’s very nice of you to say.

Man: So is he (gesturing at me) really your friend? Or your boyfriend (winking).

Friend: Oh no haha… we’re just friends…

Man: Well that’s too-

Me: OH WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT, SORRY WE HAVE TO GET OFF.

And without saying goodbye, we both sped off the train, heaving our bags over the gap, as the man smiled and creepily watched. As we got back to the dorms, I naturally apologized to her for the awkwardness, and we ended up exchanging other (and in some cases, even weirder) subway experiences.

And that’s why, looking back, I love travelling on the New York City Subways.

This entry was posted in Cultural Encounters and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Oh NYC Subways…

1. Yeuk San Shen says:

I like how you actually recorded the conversation in your mind! It must be such a moment that you won’t be able forget easily. The switch of languages is also a nice touch! Isn’t it just amazing how nowadays in the U.S. people can just switch from one language to another?

2. Nancy Zhu says:

Haha! I completely agree with you on that last part – I love New York City Subways too. You find out that most people are just super friendly. I love it when people are willingly to help complete strangers with the most random things from answering questions about directions, to donating money, and even to offer to wake up my friend at his stop.

And then, the smooth and fluent switch of languages just brings us New Yorkers even closer with each other. Travelling via NYC Subway is one amazing experience every one must get.

3. chriswoo says:

Leave it to the NYC subway to find these kind of people. This is such a relatable story too. One time I was talking and laughing with a friend who happened to be Muslim and someone approached us and said “I love this. Look at you guys, talking, and making love….er I mean spreading cultural love, you know what I mean.” Awkward stuff, but just another subway ride!

4. John Scanlon says:

This is such a typical NYC subway ride. Living in the city for only a month, I have encountered a number of strangers causing a scene, or making a ruckus, on public transportation. Although it may get awkward at times (like your experience), subway rides can be very entertaining at other times. Now when I get on a subway and I see another “whacko” doing there thing, I laugh it off and embrace it because these things only happen here in NYC.