The One Who Waved Back

They say New York is a lonely city. Yeah, I could definitely relate. As a native New Yorker, I notice too, the people on the streets looking out for themselves, never looking away from their straight path, the nonchalant brushing of bags and people rarely saying “excuse me” or “sorry”. It seems like none of the natives take a second to crack a smile at a street dancer or spark small talk on the train. I could be like that too a lot of times.

I was on the x1 bus on my way back home. It was a little past nine and I was on the phone with a friend to pass the time. He told me to hold on one second. I quickly glanced outside. Double take–next to my bus was another bus bustling with excited tourists looking right at me. The seating arrangement was not the usual—they sat facing the window, like a mini movie theater. It was like they were watching a live movie through the glass, and I happened to be right in the frame. The moment they caught my eye, I was greeted by a sea of hands all waving at me. Enthused looks. Some fingers pointed to acknowledge that I was looking. I’ve never seen a cluster of people so excited to see me. So, I’m not a big fan of tourists (especially ones who ask me where the “yellow line” is) but I decided to be a good sport and I waved back, flashed a smile and a thumbs up! They mirrored my thumbs up all together.

What the hell–life is short and this is the greatest city in the world. At that very moment in their live movie, I was the face of New York City. I hoped, in this small “act”, that I would at least be one example to prove that ”lonely city” paradigm wrong. And even though to them I’m just a “real live New Yorker” and even though they don’t know a thing about me, it still generated a great feeling–being acknowledged, amidst the crazy hazy blur of this 8-million people city. Maybe they’ll go home with this cultural encounter that they experienced, from the outside looking in, laughing about that New Yorker who actually waved back.

http://bookitnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/tourimages.jpg

This entry was posted in Cultural Encounters. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to The One Who Waved Back

1. isabelzhao says:

I see this happen a lot in the city too, especially when I’m visiting a different city out of state. Moments like this actually make me feel a little happy and a little less lonely. I thought it was a great that you had waved back at the bus of tourists because hopefully they’ll realize that not every New Yorker is the stereotypical rude and pushy New Yorker that some would run into in the city. There were a few moments in the subway when I would see a friendly gesture that would instantly put a smile on my face, whether it’s a child talking to their parents and not making much sense at all, a younger person offering his or her seat to an elderly, or even just someone making small talk with those around him or her. I guess New York is sometimes, just sometimes, a lonely city.

2. tejjybear says:

I believe that NYC is one of those places that becomes what you make of it. If you’re having a bad day and want to be left alone, not many people will go out of their way to make you feel better. Moreover, if you’re feeling extremely giddy for some reason, you are more likely to smile and therefore attract a positive reaction from other people. This really is a no nonsense city, and you get what you put into it. If you put more effort into getting to know people, they will respond (most times) with equal enthusiasm, and if you decide to be alone for some time, then that too will be easy to accomplish.

3. nastassiashcherbatsevich says:

This was such a heartwarming post! I liked how total strangers could reciprocate a positive feeling of being acknowledged. Although it might not have been a big deal for you, waving back at the tourists probably left them with a bright impression of New York City.