Unique Sam.

Unique New York. Unique New York. Unique. To most of us, the phrase is a tongue twister. To me on the other hand, it’s a motto and it represents my character. I live in one of the best cities in the world and everyone is unique in their own way. To succeed in such a city, I believe one must be very unique.

When I was 4 years old, my father introduced me to the game of chess. It’s a thinking game that involves strategy and logic. In addition, it’s not a game most people play and study. What I like most about it is that the game us known throughout the world. Last February, I went on an exchange trip with my school to Avellino, Italy. It is a small city south of Naples. I stayed with an Italian host. One night, my host took me to his family friend’s house for a dinner party. Everyone was drinking wine, eating delicious meats, and yelling in Italian. I had no clue what was going on, but then I saw something in the corner of my eye. It was a chessboard. I suddenly asked my host to translate if anyone in the house played chess. Next thing I know, the man who seemed like an alcoholic to me said that he did. We took out the chessboard and started playing. It was a long game, but in the end, I won. When we were playing it amazed me how two people can’t communicate through language, but can communicate through chess moves.

Table Tennis is another sport I view as unique. Most people know how to eat a ball with a racket, but to study the sport and get better, that involves skill. Table Tennis is really like chess except for the reaction time. In chess, it can take minutes to make the next move. In Table Tennis, it takes a matter of seconds. I take pride in playing the sport and it’s a very practical sport. Whenever you go on vacations, most hotels will have a table set so you can go play. Also, what I love about this unique sport is that many people confess to be godly in the sport, but after playing and destroying them, it makes me feel good to destroy his or her ego.

One last unique passion I have is for watches. Not any watches, but Swiss Made mechanical watches. Most people have a quartz watch. That means that the watch is battery powered. Mechanical watches are the ones that need daily winding. Sure it is tedious, but each time I wind the watch, I can feel all of the individual movements working together to produce harmony. One disadvantage is that the time isn’t as accurate as a quartz watch, but one good thing is that you need to change the battery because there is no battery. Once in Pennsylvania, my friend and I went to the woods. We had to be back at the home by 6pm. Out of nowhere, my friend’s watch just stopped working because the battery died. While my watch kept working and we got home just in time. A mechanical watch is practical and I like practicality.

Whether it is a mental game, a physical sport, or a love for man made inventions, I take pride in all three activities. They provide me with great skills. Guess that is what makes my character so unique.

By: ybot84

This entry was posted in About Face. Bookmark the permalink.