Welcome!

Dear Arts in New York City Students,
I look forward to meeting you all at our first class on Tuesday, August 28th in Room 4-180 of the Vertical Campus Building. I will also be attending the Brooklyn Museum Event on Monday night, August 27th. In addition to Egypt Reborn , Connecting Cultures and American Identities (exhibits that have already been recommended to you), I strongly suggest that you see Judy Chicago’s The Dinner Party. Perhaps you might like to focus on that exhibit for your Smart History Project.

Please give some thought to your own “definition” of a cultural encounter” –the theme of our class this semester. Our goal is to enlarge the definition so that it does not only include formal encounters in museums, galleries, theaters, and concert halls but also informal encounters on the subway, on the street, in class, and at home. Give some thought, too, in this election year, to the ways that culture and the arts becomes politicized –to the politics of culture.

Roslyn Bernstein

This entry was posted in Cultural Encounters and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.