What can you do?

Whenever I meet a group of new people, we almost always end up forming a circle and begin a icebreaker that goes through everyone in an attempt to learn a new fact that is supposedly interesting. Some of the typical answers involve unique skills or talents such as an ability to play an instrument or speak another language.

Upon further analysis it seems that our cultural backgrounds play a huge part in determining the development of these skills. For instance, I found that it is extremely common for many Asian-American students to say that they are able to play the piano or violin. Another popular skill common to many students of Chinese descent is the ability to read and write Chinese. It is a popular idea that children of Asian families participate in learning an instrument and when one meets a Chinese person, chances are pretty high they have played the piano before.

This brings me back to a memory in the second grade when I was attending the school talent show an there were many piano players who all happened to be of Chinese descent. I overheard a person in the row in front of me whisper sarcastically, “Oh another Chinese pianist! What a surprise!” It seems that along with mathematical ability, playing the piano and violin is another stereotype that is popular when Asians are being talked about.

Here is a video of a famous child pianist

This entry was posted in Cultural Encounters. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to What can you do?

1. Nancy Zhu says:

I like your observation! It’s very interesting you chose to write about this topic, because I too, of Chinese descent, know how to play the piano as well. I would say it also in a way runs through our blood. It’s Chinese culture and tradition to pass on these skills, or at least educate the children in those areas. This brings me to a question you didn’t quite mention the answer to in your cultural encounter: how do you fit into this Chinese student culture – do you play piano/violin, read/write Chinese, etc?

2. isabelzhao says:

I thought this was a really interesting topic and I didn’t realize this idea about Chinese children playing the instrument. Now that you mention it, I remember this one conversation I had with a friend who lives in a different neighborhood. He asked me where I lived and when I told him my neighborhood, he immediately asked me whether or not I played the piano. I actually did, and he told me that all his (Chinese) friends who live in my area play the piano. I guess location is something to think about too.