Who Am I?

Who am I? Well, to be honest. I’m not entirely sure. I know what I like to do, and what happened in my past. I actually do not think that the question is answerable. It is like asking what is the meaning of life? I’m not too sure of the answer.

Some may say that college is the tool in which they will “begin to truly discover who they really are.” Not for me. College may point me in the right direction but it cannot tell me who I am. But, this is an about face, so right now I need to turn around, face my past, and do a little thinking to get an idea of who I’ve been.

I can ride a unicycle. Here I am, hopping around on it.

People ask me all the time, “Why Joe…? What could have possibly possessed you to buy a unicycle?” I give them the same answer every time. “Why not…? I saw some dude doing it on YouTube, so I bought one.” Then they ask the second question that everyone asks, “Is it hard to ride?” Yes, it’s very hard to ride. It’s one wheel, enough said. It took me a week just to learn to go straight. I just kept thinking of when I first saw that guy on the Internet riding one. I thought, ‘I am going to learn how to do that…’ So, I bought one and I did.

After I learned to ride it, I realized that I didn’t mind seeming weird. When people walk or drive past me, they do the classic ‘double take’ (which is my favorite) where they look, look back to what they were doing, and then look back at me with the most confused look on their face. I like standing out, life is too short and too boring to sit at home on the Internet all day. I personally cannot stay online for more than a few hours at a time or else I will be bored to no end. I need to be outside, or with people, doing something. It is just what I like to do. There is more to my life though. I do normal things too, like listen to music.

Music is a huge part of my life. I need it to function. I can’t go a day without listening to my iPod; my collection of music will never stop growing for as long as I live. I really started getting into music during high school, especially during freshman and sophomore year. Music helps me deal with any sort of life pressures. Artists like Blink 182, Mayday Parade, Relient K, etc. have lyrics that really make you think.

Every time I hear a song I need to read the lyrics, it helps me better understand the song and feel more of the song. I do not understand how people can listen to music without knowing the lyrics. Anyone can hear a song, but it takes more to feel it.

Here is the link to a Mayday Parade song. It’s about a dad talking to his son. If you like it, great; if you don’t, then go listen to something you do like. If you think it’s lame then that’s cool too. It’s not a big deal. I linked it because I know I’ve been talking about how much music can make someone feel something. So, I picked what I think is the most ’emotional’ song on my iPod so maybe you all can feel something from it.

Terrible Things – Mayday Parade

This entry was posted in About Face. Bookmark the permalink.