Chapters 2 and 3

As many of the other posts expressed, the information in these chapters was quite startling. Similar to my reaction last week, I just find it so shocking that in a time where the stupidity of racism is so widely acknowledged our policies can be so, well, racist.

To me, the solution to this problem must be widespread education about the failures of our justice system. As the reading stressed, at every level- from legal decision making to the the police on the street- our justice system and public opinion is corrupted. The only feasible explanation for this, to me, is the misconceptions that are in so many of our minds about minorities and crime. These misconceptions are what allow our society to continue the prejudice. The only hope that I can see to rectify such a situation is to have sweeping education and information reforms about these sensitive subjects. I know that for myself, I didn’t know a ton of the facts mentioned in these chapters. I’m sure much of the public is in the same boat as I was.

Josh Setton