National pride?

As I read these chapters, I can’t help but think to myself- maybe my parents should be reading this. That’s not because they’re racist, but because when I express a desire to leave the country for just one month, they tell me it’s unsafe. “Well, what if people there are racist?” they ask. “What if something bad happens to you?” My automatic response to them at the time was, “what you think America is all good? Bad things happen here all the time.” However, then, to prove to my parents that it isn’t that safe here, I would just point to the statistics of crime and incarceration rates. Little did I pay attention to (or want to pay attention, after I got the results that I was hoping for) what kind of crimes these were, who was committing them, etc. Now, rather than point to the crimes of citizens here, maybe I should focus on the government. We think it’s all safe and everyone’s being made and treated equally, but as the author points out, this is definitely not the case. Sure, we may be better than many other countries as well. And rather than just losing all faith in our country and moving away, we should try to promote equality and stop the illogical doings of our leaders. We can make a difference!