FAQs

For Incoming Freshmen

Q: I’m looking for a place to live near the college. Can Macaulay Honors College help with this?
A: Brooklyn College has a Housing Office that provides resources for students looking for living accommodations.  Please contact them via the Brooklyn College website. 

Q: My Macaulay Honors College scholarship covers all payments to Brooklyn College, right?
A: As a Macaulay Honors College student you receive a tuition waiver, as long as you have filed FAFSA and TAP; however, you are still required to pay fees each semester.  You can determine your fee amount by viewing tuition and fees on the Brooklyn College homepage.

Q: How can I tell if my tuition waiver has posted?
A: Go to your Student Center page on CUNYfirst to view account information.  Your pending financial aid should be the amount of tuition, $3465. This is listed as Undergraduate Resident on your charges page. Questions about your account should be sent to macaulayhonorsfinaid@brooklyn.cuny.edu.

Q: I can’t access my CUNYfirst account.  What should I do?
A: If you’re experiencing difficulty accessing CUNYfirst, please call the CUNYfirst helpdesk with the exact nature of your problem at 718.951.4200.

Q: Where do I go to get my Student ID?
A: Please visit Enrollment Student Services on the first floor of the West Quad.

Q: May I use a family member’s e-mail address as a form of contact?
A: No.  You are asked to use your Macaulay Honors College or Brooklyn College  e-mail address or another provider’s e-mail address that contains your name for purposes of identification when communicating with college staff, faculty and organizations.

Q: How many credits will I receive for the AP classes I took in High School?
A: You can find the list of AP equivalencies here.There is no limit to how many AP credits Brooklyn College will accept.
* Keep in mind that you need to score a 5 on AP English in order to be exempt from ENGL 1010, and that we still recommend that everyone take an honors section of ENGL 1010, regardless of whether they have the AP credits.
* If you are planning to pursue a pre-medical path, we recommend that students deny their Chemistry AP credits, and take the courses here.

—————————————

For All Students

Q: I want to enroll in classes but CUNYfirst states I have a hold on my record.  Can I get this hold removed?

A: Remember you need to meet with advisors before making schedule selections or changes.  Only after meeting will your honors hold be temporarily removed. You may also have a bursar hold on your record.  If this is the case, you would need to pay outstanding fees before enrolling in classes. 

Q: Why am I blocked from enrolling for a course on CUNYfirst despite having my honors hold removed and no bursar hold
A: There are a number of reasons why you may have trouble registering for a class. There might be pre-requisites or departmental permission required, or the class might be reserved for a certain population of students, i.e. Freshman Learning Community, SEEK, departmental majors, or honors students. If you have checked all of these factors and still can’t register, see your advisor.

Q: How do I go about enrolling in a class at another campus?
A: Students would need to file an online e-permit after establishing a course equivalency here at their Brooklyn College home campus. E-permits are filed through CUNYfirst, except for courses offered through the Grad Center. Please let your advisor know if you are taking a course on permit.

Q: How do I go about registering for an honors level course, in order to fulfill the Macaulay requirement?
A: You may register for an honors level course three ways:
(1)by taking a course through the Brooklyn College Honors Academy;
(2)by taking a course offered at Macaulay Honors College; and
(3)by augmenting any 3000 level or above, non-Pathways course at Brooklyn College as an honors course with the permission of the professor. Please approach the professor by two weeks from the start of the semester. The agreement form should be completed by the fifth week of the semester.
These decisions should be discussed with your advisor in advance.

Q: How do I declare my major or minor?
A: Log into BC’s WebCentral Portal; select Student Transactions at the far left side of the page.  Make sure to type in the notes section that you are a Macaulay student, so you will be listed with the MHC major.

Q: Will declaring a major affect what courses I may take each semester?
A: New York State’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) requires students to take 12 credits toward college requirements after declaring a major.  College requirements are defined as core and major classes. Minor courses and track courses, such as the Pre-Med track, qualify as elective credits if not associated with a major.

Q: If I don’t take 12 credits toward college requirements after declaring a major, will I lose my Macaulay Honors College tuition scholarship?
A. The Macaulay tuition waiver is applied after your other forms of financial aid and grants, so if you aren’t TAP compliant, the Macaulay waiver will not cover that amount.

Q: My tuition waiver has not posted.  Who do I contact?
A: If you have no pending financial aid listed on CUNYfirst, please be sure that you have filed your FAFSA and completed the TAP application.  If you believe that the amount of your tuition waiver is incorrect, or are having other issues, please contact Ms. Grant in the Financial Aid Office at MacaulayHonorsFinAid@brooklyn.cuny.edu or call 718-951-5178 to make an appointment.

Q: As a Macaulay Honors College student, am I required to write a senior thesis?
A: Macaulay Honors College requires students to complete either a capstone project or thesis in your major.  Macaulay Honors College as well as Brooklyn College’s Honors Academy offers a year-long senior thesis colloquium to help with developing a senior thesis. This form is required to announce which course you are using to fulfill the capstone/thesis requirement. Senior Thesis Declaration Form.