Introduction

Posted by on Aug 29, 2013 in Introductions | One Comment

Hello everyone!

My name is Cynthia Liliana Perez Beltethon. I am a senior at the Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College and I am double majoring in Psychology and Sexualities, a specialization of the Women & Gender Studies major. I am also in the CUNY Pipeline Fellowship Program. I have been working with straight and queer-identifying men, women, transmen, and transwomen at the Center for HIV Educational Studies and Training (CHEST) as a research assistant since Fall 2012.  I have experience as a teacher’s assistant for “Statistical Methods in Psychology” and as a research assistant for a birth control adherence study through the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in partnership with Montefiore Medical Center. This year I am applying to graduate programs in both practice-oriented and research-oriented clinical psychology programs, where I hope to study the effects of psychological dysfunction on human sexuality. Outside of school, I enjoy hanging out with friends, taking photos, using social media, and writing poetry.

I signed up for this course because technology has been both a blessing and a curse for feminism. There have been many feminist campaigns that start off of the Internet (e.g. The Everyday Sexism Project), but at the same time, there are equally as numerous, if not more, posts filled with misogyny, homophobia, and transphobia. I hope that this class will help me better understand the relationship between gender(s) and technology and how gender(s) are used as technologies as described in the course description.

1. Lisa Brundage
    August 30, 2013

Welcome, Cynthia!