Introduction

Posted by on Sep 2, 2013 in Introductions | One Comment

I’m Mehnaj Ahmed, a sophomore at City College majoring in math/math education. I became interested in feminism after reading The Handmaid’s Tale in middle school, and then taking a combined race/class/gender studies class in high school. I’m auditing this class and that means I’m probably not going to be at any of the face-to-face sessions, but I’m still super excited about the reading content and the novel teaching techniques associated with a hybrid class.

I heard about this course and FemTechNet in an article in Mother Jones a couple of weeks ago, and as if by chance, I read in the Macaulay newsletter about this course. It’s interesting to see the interplay between technology and notions of gender, and I’m excited to see that through a more academic lens in this class. Online incidents prove repeatedly that we are not in a post-feminist world (just look at any comment section for proof) as much as people would like to believe. I can’t wait to learn more about all of these exciting things!

1. Lisa Brundage
    September 2, 2013

Welcome, Mehnaj!