Hi, I’m Sophia

Posted by on Sep 6, 2013 in Introductions | One Comment

Hey all,

My name is Sophia. This is my second year at Hunter, and the second course I will have taken through the Macaulay campus. The first was “Sexuality and American Culture” with Professor Lee Quinby. I declared myself an English major a few weeks ago, but I plan to double-up with a Women & Gender Studies major later on.

I have been very curious about the recent surge in development of online platforms for education, and discovering one dedicated to feminist scholarship at the forefront of such efforts is really exciting to me! Personally, I am somewhat skeptical of technology–I don’t interact on social networks or have an iPhone(!), for example– but I realize the immense influence technology has on our lives regardless of conscious or monitored individual usage. And just as I believe that technology can harm us, I think it also has a great capacity to liberate.

I’m really looking forward to engaging with a new group of people (especially after reading all of your introductions and realizing what a diverse group we are!) about feminism. I’m also eager to improve my ability to articulate ideas around gender, sexuality and women’s issues (and race, and class issues) because I often have a hard time finding the right way to talk about such touchy topics.

See you! Sophia

1. Lisa Brundage
    September 8, 2013

Welcome, Sophia!