Technology Diary – 9/6

Posted by on Sep 9, 2013 in Technology Diary | One Comment

Similarly to Vita, I was especially excited when I read “Think of technology broadly–pens, pencils, tools, medicines, gadgets–it all counts” and I also thought of the BIC® For Her pens. Additionally, I thought of another tool that is widely known to be advertised differently by gender but is not as much of a controversy because of the normalization of its use in our society: the shaving razor.

In “No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future if Women,” Estelle B. Freedman believes that feminist must “criticize two kinds of false universals” one of which is that we must ask the question “what difference does gender make?” (Freedman, 8). In terms of the shaving razor, gender does not make that much of difference in the design of the tool; however, there are small modifications to appeal to men and women and to make a profit off of that difference.

I have no intentions of starting the “Why do women shave their legs/pubic area” debate, but I do want people to think about “If I do choose to shave, is there a reason why I am choosing a product based on the fact that it is advertised for my gender?” A razor for men works the same way that a women’s razor does. So what are the differences exactly? According to representatives at Bic, Schick, and Wilkinson, the differences include the “shave angle,” the arcs, and combs for those shaveless winters, ladies. In addition, women’s razors tend to have an ergonomic grip, moisture ribbons for our soft, sensitive skin, come in bright “feminine” colors and have musical commercials that make shaving seem like fun (See this Wilkinson Schick Quattro one and this Gillette Venus one).

You’re a woman?! Please drop that men’s razor IMMEDIATELY!!

This campaign for the Gillette Venus razor explicitly states that it has the same blades as the “male-oriented” Fusion Power, but it’s made for us! I feel so special that Gillette created this for our curves. Oh wait, it’s probably going to cost me more? Take my money Gillette, my soft, delicate, womanly skin needs all the moisture it can get. Just kidding, I’ll continue using the MACH3 replacement blades that my mother buys for less money and not have my body capitalized by razor companies.

1. Elizabeth Kelman
    September 19, 2013

Yes!
    I remember discussing gender-specific razors in the high school English elective that formally introduced me to feminism, and feeling feminist fury for the first time. We looked at magazine and TV ads for razors, and the men’s ads were all metallic/red/bold-colored and about power and precision, while the women’s were in pastels and bright, cheery colors and about “curves” and touchability. Because a razor designed not to nick the contours of a man’s cheek or chin and one that won’t nick a woman’s leg or ankle are so different. Then there’s emphasis on (really damn expensive and wasteful) colorful disposable razors for women vs. a “quality” razor with replaceable blades for men.
    That said, some differences are totally valid, since women and men do tend to shave differently. For example, most women shave in the shower, so a non-slip handle is a plus.