Reading Response – 9/12

Posted by on Sep 15, 2013 in Reading Response | 3 Comments

In connection to my technology diary on shaving razors, this week I will be examining hairlessness (and beauty, in general) in “The Hunger Games”. In chapter five, we find Katniss in the Remake Center preparing for the tribute presentation. Katniss is waxed of all hair from her “legs, arms, torso, underarms, and part of the eyebrows” (Collins, 61). Capitol practices are similar to those found in the United States today, as women are often pressured to keep hairless “like a plucked bird, ready for roasting” (Collins, 61). This practice of removing hair off of a woman’s body often creates an image of pre-pubescence and hairlessness is considered to be beautiful by today’s standards. In the Capitol, looks are everything, as Katniss only looks “almost like a human being” after being scrubbed and waxed by Venia and Flavius (Collins, 62). A woman could only be a human being if she looks decent! 

Pubic Hair

This idea of hairlessness came from an aggressive advertising campaign for women by men (See: Caucasian Female Body Hair and American Culture). Underarm (then later leg and pubic hair) were problematic even though it was natural. This is similar to the medicalization of other natural female body changes such as menstruation/cramps. So Panem and the United States, changed the way society thought of female body hair. Currently, it is a choice whether one shaves or not; however, many people frown upon a hairy body (especially on a female) because society has normalized the hairless body.

Male bodies in the Capitol, do not escape the beautification either. Flavius has “orange corkscrew locks” and applied “a fresh coat of lipstick to his mouth” (Collins, 62). In addition, Katniss describes most of the stylists, both male and female, as being “dyed, stenciled, and surgically altered” (Collins, 63). In the U.S. today, men aren’t really pressured to wear makeup to feel like they live up to a standard beauty. Once again, it’s a choice, but society normalizes that a made-up face a beautiful face.

1. Lisa Brundage
    September 16, 2013

Do you think men in the Capitol remove all of their body hair, too?

• Cynthia Perez Beltethon
      September 20, 2013

I’m not sure. There’s no evidence that supports that they did or did not. However, I would not be surprised if the stylists of the Capitol removed their body hair, as it would be reflective of the practices that male stylists and models do in our society.

• Kaitlyn O'Hagan
      October 6, 2013

I remember wondering about this when I read the books. I mentioned this aspect of the novel in my post about The Hunger Games, but didn’t delve deep–for me what’s interesting is where Suzanne Collins seems to be making an effort to make distinctions. It seems women and men from District 12 are equally hairy (Katniss seems to have all of her body hair until she’s taken to the Capitol, and there’s no indication it isn’t the same case for the men) and women and men from the Capitol are equally hairless. So Collins is clearly drawing distinctions along class lines, and her critique of a beauty-obsessed culture is genderless (or at least, it seems she is striving for it to be). I think a genderless critique is definitely problematic when you look at the beauty industry in contemporary society–as Cynthia said, though it certainly affects men as well, it has a disproportionate impact on the female body.