Reading Response: de Lauretis

Posted by on Sep 24, 2013 in Reading Response | One Comment

The part of the de Lauretis reading that interested me was the discussion of the sexualization of the female body. In Western culture, a connection is made between the woman and sexuality, and the woman’s body becomes something sexual. This is prevalent in many films, where, according to feminist film theorists, the female body becomes an image, an “object of the spectator’s voyeuristic gaze.” This reminded me of a book I have read previously to this, John Berger’s Ways of Seeing, in which he discusses the woman as an image to be looked at by men in paintings and other works of art.  As our culture becomes more technologically advanced, this concept becomes increasingly prevalent.

I also was interested in a part of the passage that stated “Even when it is located in the woman’s body, sexuality is perceived as an attribute or a property of the male.” So the conclusion that I draw from this is that women’s bodies are sexualized, often without their consent, and then they do not even have ownership of this sexuality, because sexuality belongs to men. This also only leaves room for heterosexuality, involving a woman’s body which represent “sexuality,” and a man who owns the “sexuality” that a woman’s body represents.

I think that the solution to this that de Lauretis perhaps doesn’t really touch upon is that I think we need to use technology to improve views on women are emphasize for the world that women are more to be looked and and are not just representations of sexuality but active participants.

1. jgarnick
    September 26, 2013

I really appreciate the very on point connection that you made to Ways of Seeing. In many ways de Lauretis and Berger are right that women are “looked at” and objectified into an object of sexual pleasure. Although, I think this problem is not completely gender specific. Even though women are more often than not the victims of this objectification, our views of beauty are more tied to capitalist commodification and objectification than patriarchy. For example strength is a common standard of beauty applied to men. This strength is measured in an inherently capitalistic way (i.e. the common question of “How much can you bench bro?” or “Wow he has a six pack.”) This desire to reduce beauty into something of a number or object transcends gender boundaries.

I agree that we do need to critically examine the way women are objectified but that interrogation needs to extend to cover all genders as well and the capitalist system in which it operates.

As for using technology, I agree that at times it can be an amazing tool to change perspectives in mass and to disseminate valuable information, but thinking through a Marxist feminist lens, the cold, hard, technology that exists today may only further the problem by reducing us to just pictures on a screen, or even worse, numbers in a hard drive.