Technology Diary 2: The Menstrual Cup

Posted by on Sep 24, 2013 in Technology Diary | 3 Comments

tassadch

Having just begun my menstrual cycle earlier today, I have decided to write this week’s technology diary on an invention that has drastically improved the tumultuous relationship I have with my period; the menstrual cup. I first heard about this device through a friend whose aunt had gifted her one in our freshman year of high school. At first, I was utterly appalled by the idea of walking around town with a cup of blood sloshing around inside of me, and still, I was more than eager to get my friend’s feedback. Well, she loved it, and that was that, or, goodbye tampons, for the both of us, forever.

1867Patent

To provide a brief history, the first modern menstrual cup was invented by a woman named Leona Chalmers around 1937 (just shortly after commercial tampons hit the market in the 1920’s and those with applicators in the 1930’s) (“A History of the Menstrual Cup”). But an even earlier prototype, the Catamenial Sack, which never seems to have made it to commercial production, was patented in 1867 by a man named S. L. Hockert (“Catamenial Sack (American) from 1867”).

patent37Chlmpat2

In my own experience, menstrual cups have proved to be an incredible alternative to tampons and pads. Environmental waste and cost are both drastically reduced with menstrual cups, most of which cost around $40 and last between 5 and 10 years, whereas tampons and pads require continuous purchase and disposal throughout a woman’s lifetime. In addition to having a negative environmental impact, tampons are harsh on the female body from being bleached and soaked in chemicals prior to use. And in terms of blood capacity, menstrual cups can contain up to four times as much blood as tampons can absorb, and yet, menstrual cups have never been connected to cases of Toxic Shock Syndrome. (“Why Use the Lunette Menstrual Cup?”).

Another aspect of menstrual cups that I feel is important to highlight is related to the more personal aspect of menstruation. Many women feel their periods are a hassle. I certainly feel burdened by the maintenance required to keep up with my flow. Nearly all my underwear is stained from past cycles, and my mattress, too, is permanently marbleized by various rings of red. And yet, after switching to the menstrual cup, these things stopped bothering me. The joy that comes from emptying a full cup of crimson fluid on the first day of my cycle, to the curiosity surrounding the murky globs of uterine lining that are discharged towards its end, add an exciting and empowering element to having one’s period, one I never expected would be possible.

Works Cited

“Catamenial Sack (American) from 1867.” Museum of Menstruation and Women’s Health. Harry Finley, 1998. Web. 25 Sept. 2013.

“Early Commercial Tampons.” Museum of Menstruation and Women’s Health. Harry Finley, 2006. Web. 25 Sept. 2013.

Heli. “History of Menstrual Cups.” Lunette. Lunette, 6 Mar. 2012. Web. 25 Sept. 2013.

“A History of the Menstrual Cup.” Museum of Menstruation and Women’s Health. Harry Finley, 1997. Web. 25 Sept. 2013.

“Why Use the Lunette Menstrual Cup?” Lunette. Lunette, n.d. Web. 26 Sept. 2013.

1. Pranitha Prabhu
    September 26, 2013

I really like how your post was different in that rather than pointing out an inequality or something negative, you chose to analyze the item of your choice in a positive way. I feel like it is easier to find faults in the world around us that to give credit to what does work. I also like that you picked a relatable topic, even though I did need to read your post a couple of times to familiarize myself with the product. However, this is a unique piece of technology that you embraced and I like that you are sharing this extra option with women like me who may not know that it exists and is a viable option to those conventional products, like tampons and pads that we are used to seeing unrealistically cheerful ads about on TV.

2. Kaitlyn O'Hagan
    September 29, 2013

I love the first picture in your post! It’s so reflective of the time that the advertising technique they used was to offer “carefree daintiness.” Though the “daintiness” may have dropped off as a selling point for feminine products, it seems “carefree” still persists

I have friends who tried a menstrual cup who reported strongly disliking it–but thanks for sharing your experience! It’s interesting how resentful women have become of their periods, but honestly, I don’t know if I can blame “patriarchy”–as your posts documents, isn’t it sort of inherently annoying and messy?

3. Sophia
    September 29, 2013

Yeah, I don’t blame patriarchy for menstrual cycles being a hassle. Although I do think restrictions on scientific terms like vagina and menstruation being used in commercials, for example, making women feel like they have to hide or be ashamed about their periods or PMS, IS a problem that stems from patriarchy.