Introduction

Posted by on Sep 26, 2013 in Introductions | No Comments

Hi all! My name is Adrienne, and I’m a student at Brooklyn College who is currently double majoring in Health and Nutrition Science and Sociology. I’m also technologically challenged and just recently learned how to access all of the content on this site— women and technology at it’s finest.

A few days ago, I bought frozen yogurt from a Yogo truck parked in SoHo. Had to try to buy. The owner of the truck gave my me and my friend our complicated yogurt order and refused to accept my money. He took out a dollar, told me to write my number on it and put it in the tip jar, and handed me back the rest of what I had paid. I refused to accept the money I owed him because it wouldn’t have been fair to take the yogurt without paying, but what made him think that he could get someone’s number because he offered free frozen yogurt (which was mediocre and nothing compared to Red Mango’s froyo)? What made him think my half-vanilla, half-tart yogurt topped with strawberries, blueberries, granola, and cookie crumbs and maybe some bananas and mochi was worth my number or my dignity?

I’ve always been interested in gender roles and stereotypes and expectations that frustrate me, but incidents like the one described above make me more eager to learn about the social rules and norms that deem that sort of behavior socially acceptable.
And feminism’s intersection with technology, which could either be egalitarian or patronizing to women, is also fascinating.