Technology Diary 3: Macbook

Posted by on Oct 15, 2013 in Technology Diary | No Comments

After reading the article on Sandberg’s Lean in by Kate Losse, I looked at my life and wondered if I’m depending on my Macbook too much. I honestly did not agree with most of Sandberg’s view on how women should solely focus on work and how even one’s family life and even possible children are seen as work. The thought that I would only start a family in order to create more work for myself simply horrifies me. I think Sandberg has good intentions for women in the labor force but her vision of how people’s lives should be seems to be a bit skewed, at least in my opinion. There’s this idea that everything a female should look forward to is work in order to stay in the game with men in a sense. It’s as if she’s out to prove that women can do so much work to society. In a way I don’t see it as taking a step forward but taking a step back. What is the point of doing all this work when you can’t truly be happy. Of course some people may just love working, but they seem to be in the minority especially with the no taking vacations idea.

My Macbook is the one piece of technology that I constantly use. I don’t really watch television and I’m okay without my phone. I would probably go through a lot of trouble and be bored if I didn’t have my Macbook with me at home. The idea that technology allows us to work whenever really does resonate with me. I probably can’t get any work done without my laptop these days. I’ll also stay up all night to do things simply because of the amount of information I can access online and how much easier it is to get work done. You just lose track of time. To think that 6 years ago, I didn’t even have a laptop, and only used the computer to play games and chat with my friends. After reading Losse’s piece about Sandberg, it made me wonder how I would manage with my Macbook. It has essentially become a part of me. The thing for me is that technology is not only about work. I also enjoy watching shows on my Macbook and it’s fun to skype with people on it. I see my Macbook as something that has increased both my pleasure and work life.