Crake vs. Freud

The more I study psychology, and the more I study the MaddAddam trilogy, the more connections I make.  In many senses, Crake is very much like Sigmund Freud, the psychoanalyst.

Sigmund Freud was most known for three things: unconsciousness, stages of sexuality, and psychoanalysis.  A big critique against him is that his theories were only based on his traumatic childhood, especially in terms of the stages of sexuality.  He was very rigid about his theories – only he could change, edit, or improve on his own work.  This led to many disputes with other psychologists that tried to work with him like Carl Jung and Alfred Alder.  He even invented a whole new process of analysis, dream analysis, to prevent being psychoanalyzed by someone else.  On even creepier levels, he also psychoanalyzed his own daughter, who went on to going against most of her father’s theories anyway.  Not only is he rigid in practice, but he’s also rigid in methodology and belief.  He believes in science and rationality.

Similarly, Crake’s character is much like Freud is these aspects.  Crake too is rigid in belief.  Crake only believes in the rational and in science.  He went as far as the try to rid the Crakers of religion because he thought it was pointless. (And Ironic because he himself basically became their God).  Crake also had a traumatic childhood that influenced his practice and theories.

While I don’t how much love Freud was capable of giving, I am certain that despite Crake’s rigidity, he had a special connection and feeling toward Oryx and in that sense he is separate from Freud.  As smart as he was, Freud was disliked by many and opposed by many.   As rigid and critical as he was, Crake was actually admired by many, if not all, for his intellect and uniqueness.