Vincent Blandino Blog Post #2: 5Pointz

While riding the 7 train in Long Island City, one simply cannot miss the building that is so outstanding to the public. This very building is 5pointz, a location where graffiti artists from around the world come to show off their talents alongside other graffiti artists. On the building, there is a plethora of many detailed works done by graffiti artists as well as just the names of graffiti artists. Almost every inch of the building is covered in some sort of illustration, filled with many colors, designs, and tastes these graffiti artists bring with them.

Many people often bash graffiti and would never even dare put it in the same sentence as ‘art.’ This is obviously shown through the many attempts of the city and the mayors trying to abolish the taggers’ works. It is even shown in our tendency to consider areas with graffiti present, ‘bad.’ With this almost natural distaste in graffiti, people fail to see the work and talent these artists show to the public. Yes, there are people that write on storefronts, subway stations, and walls simply because they feel like it. They could be trying to instill a sense of fear in the public, maybe even claiming a territory. 5pointz, however, is the place where graffiti and the graffiti writers transform into art and artists, respectively.photo

5pointz is simply the epitome of “site-specific art.” This term refers to any piece of public art that can convey meaning to onlookers and serve a purpose. 5points covers each aspect of this definition. It certainly conveys meaning to onlookers in many ways, given the many drawings and illustrations. These pieces of artwork were done the way they were because artists try to capture the observer’s emotions. The many moods these sketches give off are truly amazing, ranging from an evil mood to a Japanese style to just names of artists. The other part of this definition I give, which is that site-specific art serves a purpose, is also present with 5pointz. There are many purposes to why this building is what it is, whether it is to attract more tourists or be a legal place for graffiti artists to write without punishment. I believe the main reason, the main purpose, is to show off to the public that art is all around us. Art is even the same material that people distaste so much as to want to rid it throughout neighborhoods.

With this class, I feel I have finally understood more about art. I feel I have more appreciation of what is around me and in my neighborhood. 5pointz has helped me realize that art is present in all forms, especially as “site-specific art.” Although it seems that 5pointz will be destroyed in the near future, we can marvel at the very illustrations given to us as gifts by graffiti artists. These artists spent their time making a picture that would be seen by many people who serve as passersby either on the train above or walking along the street. They may have received recognition, but as far as I am aware, there were no monetary transactions for their art or for their artistic talent. I believe 5pointz will not die with its destruction but will remain alive through the photographs and memories of people that visited this landmark. It truly deserves the label of being an example of site-specific art.