Steven Ficurilli – Blog Post #4

Wednesday’s performance of “Run Don’t Run” at the BAM was interesting to say the least. I started off utterly confused, and I remained that way for nearly the entire performance. It took a long time for me to appreciate the dance, but I think I have found reason to appreciate it in hindsight.

When the dancers partnered up and started going through their “fighting” routines, I couldn’t help but notice certain similarities to ancient martial art techniques and katas. In ancient times, the way martial arts were passed on was through dance. The ancient feudalist governments did not wish for their subjects to learn how to fight, for they were afraid of revolts. The people’s way of combatting this governmental oppression was dance; within dance routines the families would disguise many of their fighting secrets and traditions, so that the government could not understand what the people were really doing. These dances were a serious form of training, which many still do today. If not for these disguised dances, most martial art secrets would have been lost from those generations.

This aspect of the show particularly intrigued me; the techniques were much more abstract, disguised and fluid than the originals, but I would find it hard to believe that the choreographer was not inspired by some ancient forms of dancing. However, finding a reason for the choreographer’s choice was a difficult task. It was not until days after seeing the performance that I had any inkling of an idea for as to what this performance could have been trying to accomplish.

I like to believe that this dance was not supposed to have any deep or hidden meanings. In fact, I truly believe that this choreography was chosen for no other reason than to display the incredible talent and ability of the human body. Each dancer was an incredible physical specimen, and their nonstop hour performance would be taxing for even the strongest person. The way in which each dancer moved seemed to defy what is normal, and instead extended to the extreme possibilities that the body can achieve. Flexibility and static were incorporated heavily into this performance, as well as fast and slow, jumping in the air and laying on the ground, enclosed spaces and open spaces, traditional and abstract, and even fighting and calm. The performance’s title, “Run Don’t Run”, was even a juxtaposition, showing the contrast and extreme range of possibilities exemplified within the performance.

Many people viewed the lights and music as the key components to this dance; I on the other hand, disagree. I thought they subtracted from the performance. In my opinion, the dance was a showcase of ability. The music and lights added to the drama of the ability, but I believe they tried too hard to convey a mood. This is why I believe the dance was so confusing. The music and lights made it seem like the dance was telling a story, and I sat there the whole time trying to understand what that story was. I hated the dance at first, because I didn’t get it. Looking back, however, and looking at the dance simply as a dance, and nothing more, I am beginning to appreciate it. That dance took extreme talent, and showed the wonderful possibilities of the human body, and that is something I can relate to, far more than an absurd storyline that is only known by the choreographer himself.