Angel Ho Blog 4 10.28.13

As a first time dance performance viewer, I approached this performance as a rookie otherwise known as a “noob.” Now I call myself a noob rather than a rookie because a rookie, at least has some exposure to the activity at hand. Upon first glance at the stage, the ropes aligned from wall-to-wall, floor to ceiling gave me the impression that all the ropes would be used in which I would later be greatly disappointed. The stage itself was very appealing with the light effects during the actual performance.

The lights would probably be the one factor that enhanced the performance for me and other than that, the performance failed to keep me interested. The frequent unsynchronized movements from the jumps to the dancing was distracting and it was hard to ever stay focused when it seemed like five separate dances going on at once. This dance to me could be describes as organized chaos. If there was only one dance going on, it would have enhanced the experience for me so much more allowing me to revel in the individual movements and the flow of the body. However, the different dances only served to enhance the chaos that should not have been there.

However, what was even more disappointing contributing to the organized chaos was that the ropes became more of a distraction rather than an enhancing effect for the dancers. While a dance was occurring on the other side of the stage, the ropes served more as a distraction as I couldn’t see what was happening. Additionally, for half the dance, the removal of the strings was questionable for me as it seemed it was attached together with hooks and then taken apart and attached again. Not only did this seem like a waste of time but it also seemed as if the choreographer was trying to convey something that could not be relayed to the audience.