Chelsea Galleries- “Group of Teachers”

Chelsea Galleries

This piece entitled “Group of Teachers” by Martin Honert was in the Matthew Marks Gallery. The sculptures are made of Polyurethane, sand, glass, textiles, and oil paint. This was the first gallery we went to, and it helped me appreciate Honert’s style of contemporary art since I could come up with stories the people may be linked with. Despite their smiling faces, the teachers have an intimidating, watchful expression on them; for instance, the blonde woman’s eyes seem to be following you. There is a very eerie vibe to the room. The lighting is focused predominately on the figures.These six figures could represent Honert’s own teachers from the boarding school he attended. The teachers are an example of how the past is always lingering, and an image could stay vivid in one’s mind forever. I think it is very interesting that Honert created this bunch based off of negatives of photographs. Additionally, I think it is interesting that he kept the teachers entirely in bland, dull colors. They could parallel the dull, washed-out feelings one gets as they age. The characters look so real, and one can get a sense that they are being judged as they stand in front of them. The fact that Honert’s parents were of the Nazi Era may be of import. During this time period, the youth had a conflicted relationship with adults. This could affect his portrayal of adults in general. The room was very spacious and the group of teachers definitely stood out. The long, narrow room of emptiness could represent the empty path one feels that they travel until they obtain a career. To the masses, having a steady career such teaching equates to success. This contemporary piece leaves an ambiguous message on the viewers, which I love.

One thought on “Chelsea Galleries- “Group of Teachers”

1. Samantha L Chiu

I like how the comment addresses both the physical aspects of the sculpture and the underlying message these aspects displayed. I agree with how the colors and the way the sculpture looks in the room creates a sense of eerieness and almost intimidating look from the teachers. I also like how the background of the artist himself was involved in the actual process and product; it brought about another meaning to the art that most could not see just by looking at it.

Reply