Armory Show at 100

When originally shown in 1913, the Armory Show at 100 introduced America to a whole different kind of art, yet received a less than favorable reaction. 100 years later, not only is it hard to imagine how people could dislike this show, but also the art world without these works. When I first walked in, I was pleasantly surprised to see sculptures and paintings done in different styles; not just the same old works one would usually see at a specific museum exhibit.

One piece I really enjoyed was Pablo Picasso’s “Woman’s Head (Fernande).” Done in the Cubist style common in the early 20th century, this sculpture’s main difference from a neoclassical one is that it looks alive. The typical white, neoclassical heads all have the same smooth skin, blank eyes, and discernable features. In person, the sculpture looks more black than gray, and that liquidy darkness gives it an air of mystery. Also, the roughness, asymmetrical edges and distorted features give it the personality that the neoclassical style lacks.  In particular, the eyes of the sculpture are hollow, black and difficult to separate from the cheekbones and eyebrows, giving off the impression of features that morph into one another yet somehow are the exact opposite of fluid. The abstraction and darkness of the sculpture is what makes it so interesting and eye-catching.

Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 6.58.27 PM

My favorite painting was Robert Chanler’s “Parody of Fauve Painters” in which he basically mocked the popular fauvist artists of that time, particularly Matisse (the ape). Maybe in depicting Matisse as an ape, he is showcasing the primitiveness in the style and content of his art works. Fauvist paintings used bright colors and brushstrokes, and focused on simple and abstract subjects. The “artists” are surrounded by paintings of nude women, which the eccentric and innovative Chanler would have thought to be too typical and mainstream. Chanler’s ornate and decorative art was a complete departure from the popular forms of this time. It is very likely that he is mocking these “artists” for not branching out and exploring new forms of art like he is doing; instead, working within the confines of fauvism. Additionally, the other “artists” surrounding Matisse are depicted as admiring a monkey and his work, suggesting that they are just followers and not thinkers.

Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 7.35.04 PM

One thought on “Armory Show at 100

1. Clare Carroll

Excellent work, Esther. I really enjoyed your post. I hadn’t noticed that parody of the fauvists that you focus on here, so I learned something from you. Do you like this painting visually? It seemed that it was the idea behind the work that grabbed your attention.