My Visit to the Chelsea Galleries

Personally, I found the Chelsea Galleries a bit disappointing.  The galleries were non-conventional and the art pieces were difficult to understand, if understandable at all.  There were many times when I questioned whether the art even had a meaning.  Nevertheless, I liked the variety of the galleries as well as the fact I had to utilize neural function to analyze the pieces.  For example, in the Matthew Marks Gallery, the Martin Hornet exhibit contained a group of old teachers (sculptures) in the far end of a plain white room.  I thought this represented the long path to a dismal future being plain and dreary.

Despite the difficulty understanding the galleries, I enjoyed walking around the neighborhood and finding art pieces everywhere.  One of my favorites was crushed under unaware NYC residents.  It was on a crosswalk near the High Line.  I found this piece cute and abnormal.  The yellow stood out on the grey road.  I needed a picture of it, which is a bit dangerous considering it is in the middle of the street.

20131011_145740

The Lambard Freid gallery had what I thought to be an extremely wasteful exhibit: multiple 18 karat gold chains with 24 karat gold pendents of Lenin of the Communist Revolution.  Knowing that just a couple blocks down there are homeless people who do not know where their next meal will come from, I could not appreciate the exhibit.  Other than that issue, I did appreciate the pictures and paintings in the gallery.  One of the paintings reminded me of a Pokemon.  I am biased because Pokemon was a very important part of my childhood, so when I saw this picture, I was immediately filled with nostalgia.

Mudkip skull
mudkips

(Photo on right: http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2010/336/f/5/mudkip_coloring_by_alltehgoodnamesrgone-d343k49.jpg)

Despite the difficulty understanding the many exhibits, I do not think it was a waste of time.  I was exposed to many new art pieces and as the cliche goes, “beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.”

One thought on “My Visit to the Chelsea Galleries

1. Joanna DeJesus

I agree with many of the points you made and i really like the depth you went into when explaining yourself. Instead of just saying you hated it or you loved it, you talked about parts that you enjoyed (i.e. par-oozing the neighborhood) and even how certain exhibits effected you (the feeling of nostalgia). I agree with the idea fact that the exhibit with the gold chains was a bit upsetting and the galleries were disappointing. I also love your interpretation of the teachers at the end of the Matthew Marks Gallery “represented the long path to a dismal future being plain and dreary”. You inspire me to think about what emotions a piece of art evokes in me as well as what messages an artist might be trying to get across.

Reply