city planning, transportation, and health

Posted by on Mar 24, 2016 in Uncategorized | 2 Comments

I enjoyed Montgomery’s excerpt which discussed city planning, transportation, and health. It was relevant to the various lifestyles and transportation methods provided in NYC.

I especially enjoyed the first half of the excerpt which was just a psa for pro cycling. Montgomery mentioned that cycling provides more freedom and happiness than driving and public transit despite the increased physical effort of cycling. The story of Judge, the super-hooah eskimo cyclist, worked well to reveal that obscure transportation methods may have unique perks. I also took it as the message- ultimately, you choose whatever transportation method you like most, even if it isn’t the most effective one.

Speaking personally, I prefer taking public transport going into the city over driving. The reason for this, which Montgomery doesn’t talk about, is that parking in the city absolutely sucks. I remember times in freshman year when I was running late and decided to take the faster method of driving, but ended up spending literally one hour looking for parking around City College. However, in general, I think driving’s the best. You don’t ever have to be hot or cold, or stand while holding a heavy backpack. The best feeling is driving past someone walking through a thunderstorm with a broken dollar store umbrella and realizing you’re comfortable in your car. And in many situations, like Montgomery mentions, driving is simply really fun. Even after doing it so many times, ripping through the freeway, especially after being stuck in traffic, is exhilarating.

The latter half of Montgomery’s excerpt was about how city designs force certain transportation methods on commuters, which may lead to certain health trends. His observation was that spread out and homogenous systems promoted driving while cluttered and integrated systems promoted walking, and that this exercise difference contributed to health. This kind of made sense, but also seems oversimplified. I think that the small variation in walking doesn’t really matter. The person’s availability to affordable, healthy food seems more important. After all, an active person who enjoys exercise will do so no matter if the nearest stores are within walking distance or not. Nonetheless, his points were things I never thought about. They really highlighted the vast effects city planning can have on residents’ behaviors.

______________________________________________________________________________

Greenwald’s article was a nice short-and-informative read. It’s something that I realized on only some instances when going home after staying at my friend’s house in Brooklyn- the commute is really tiring and inefficient. I really wished there were more direct routes from Brooklyn to the Flushing area.

The most interesting part of the article was Greenwald’s statement that a lot of people only use the bus to get themselves to the train station. This ties in with Montgomery’s excerpt. I agree with Montgomery that buses are the most frustrating way to travel. They’re much slower and less reliable than subways. Nonetheless, buses serve a purpose in more suburban areas. Buses are basically the only transportation source for students and poor families, who don’t have access to cars, to get around within Queens.  They’re cheap and fast enough to beat walking and cycling.

1. rschechter
    March 24, 2016

Your view on Montgomery’s take on health is very interesting. I thought you brought up a great point on the importance of accessibility to affordable and healthy food. Many people who are constantly focused on their health will find a way to work out, while those who don’t focus on it usually don’t do it. Food is something that is so critical to all of us and we should also push for the ability to access healthy food. For those of us who don’t exercise or eat healthy, the extra walk to the train or grocery could be very beneficial. Most of us find ourselves sitting at a desk all day whether it’s at school or work, and any extra exercise such as walking just one mile, can make a big difference in the long term. If we can’t walk to work, then biking is a great option and you and Montgomery both brought that up. I also really like the story of Judge and how important it is to choose a method of transportation that makes you happy, regardless of efficiency and convenience.

2. Tala Azar
    March 29, 2016

You bring up a really great point about parking, and that definitely it is something that the Montgomery article did not emphasize. I live about a 25-minute drive away from CCNY, but I would never even fathom getting a car because I know the horrors of parking that would lie ahead. This in turn forces a lot of city folks to settle for public transportation, which has both its perks and its downsides for the individual and the environment.

I was also very surprised after reading this article to see just how much city planning affects our everyday lives. I especially noticed this when Montgomery mentions the creation of public centers and the mapping of roads. These in turn shape public transportation and our commutes, so our transportation options end up being heavily shaped by others, including city planners.