Clarissa [Sometimes] Explains It All

A day in the life of the queen of Queens.

Clarissa [Sometimes] Explains It All

QC Strings Ensemble: My First Experience

December 17th, 2010 · No Comments · Personal, School

As an incoming freshman, I did not know what to expect from a college ensemble. It all started with attending a Concert Band rehearsal, for as I was unpacking my violin, I was slowly realizing I was assigned the wrong class. That made the first few days of college a rough start, but thankfully, that problem was resolved. As a new member of the strings ensemble, the level of skill my peers had intimidated me. I had to rework on the basics during my violin lessons, so the two factors discouraged me. However, as the semester passed, I became more familiar with how rehearsals went, playing with a group of such skilled musicians. Playing with the strings ensemble proved to be one of the highlights of my first semester, for it not only was a pleasure to be a part of, but it served as a learning experience as well. I was able to appreciate the various selections of music for different parts. I also developed an increase in awareness for the violas and their importance in an orchestra. This class taught me that every player has a key role in an ensemble, whether a solo, soli, or accompanying part is present. Additionally, I realized how valuable it is to breathe and cue before playing, especially without the direction of a conductor. Because of QC Strings, I increased my practice time and cultivated a pride for the parts I played. More importantly, I started having more confidence in my playing. The Strings Ensemble has led to the start of many friendships, as well as the beginning of a great time at college. I am grateful for the guidance of Ms. Lee and my other peers, for we had a wonderful concert. In this length of time, I have witnessed the most growth in myself as an instrumentalist, and look forward to the continuing maturity that will take place in the semesters to come.

Tags: ··

No Comments so far ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.